Recent Posts

3.06.2012

Charcoal Renfrew


Welp, the Renfrew and Minoru patterns came in the mail (so fast!), so I put the Pendrell back on the shelf.  I don't think I will EVER get to that pattern, the poor thing!

Here's my charcoal sweater knit Renfrew!


I'm sorry I cropped my head out again... My mommasita took like 14 pictures and I'm a hot mess in all of them.  I blame it on the cold.  :)

So I LOVE this top!  It was a breeze to sew - there are so few steps and pattern pieces.  Lovely!  Will be making heaps of them!  However, it came out too tight and too short for what I prefer.  This was entirely my fault, and here's why:

I serged the seams with reckless crazylady abandon.  After I read Amanda's review of the pattern, and warning to take serious heed of the 5/8" seam allowance, I was worried that I'd serge pewnie seams and end up with a big ol' grey sweatshirt, essentially.  So I overdid it and I could probably make a new Renfrew from the scraps leftover from my overzealous serging.  :)

Also, this is a problem:



Red circles - My measurements.
Pink circle - Hoorah for averaging!

Yeah-no, that didn't really work out!  I should have graded up in the bust and down in the hips and waist instead of just cutting a straight 10.  Patience fail.  But I will make others and grade them to fit my shape better!

Dressform, you lie.
The fabric I used was a sweater knit with one-way stretch (from Joann's ages ago).  I don't think that helped me out either.  Methinks the width-wise stretch sort of pulled up the tops' length, if ya know what I'm saying.  It's too tight on my bust, that's what I'm saying.  Blerg.

But hey, I still love it, and it's totally wearable!  I super duper recommend this pattern - it's a perfect wardrobe builder.  Check out the Sewaholic Patterns Flickr Group to see some other versions of this pattern & the others!  Good stuff.  :)


Have a good day all!


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. thanks for linking to Take-A-look Tuesday - I just featured you on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top looks gorgeous! I like the 3/4 length sleeve version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy! I like this version a lot too... I love me a cowl :) I'm looking forward to trying the other versions!

      Delete
  3. So cute! Gotta love the serger. It makes seams so much easier, but you can't undo if you go in to far!! I think the top looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Show & Share with Southern Lovely! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the collar on this outfit and I think it looks great on. I am hopping from Katherines Corner Blog Hop and I have been having so much fun.

    My Turn (for us)

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    Thanks, I so enjoyed the visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I wish I could make things like this...

    Stopping by from Katherines Favorite Things Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweater looks very attractive and pretty. It's so great to be able to sew. From Katherine's Favorite Things Thursday blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your top is lovely. Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo P.S. I posted the new giveaway at Katherines Corner today :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...