Recent Posts

3.14.2013

Birthday Dress!



Happy day all!

I finished sewing Emmy's birthday dress!  Behold!


This precious, smart, incredibly funny, beautiful and gentle little soul turns three next week.
I am so in awe of her, so proud of her, and pretty much the luckiest Mama in the land.

So to ring in her third year (can you hear me sobbing through the screen?), I made what is probably the prettiest dress I've made her to date!  

Emmy L.O.V.E.S this dress, so much.  She pets it.  She hugs it.  She squeals words that I can't make out when she puts it on.  Hahaha!

See? Petting:


And after about 3 minutes of dressform pictures, the agony was over and she got to put on the 'DRESH'!


The pattern is New Look 6115:


It was a really fun dress to make!  I gravitate towards these yoked dress patterns all the time, even though I am well aware of how fiddly they usually are.  But this one really wasn't too bad.  The whole dress took about three nights to sew, an hour or so each night, and way WAY too much Instagraming in between.  


The floral fabric is a Maggy London satin from Fabric Mart.  They just sold out of it, presumably because all of their Maggy London is 30% off right now.  Huzzah!

The periwinkle fabric is a crepe that I can't remember the origin of.  I've had it for a while, and it jumped off my shelf as the obvious match for the floral.  LOVE.  IT.

The lining is a nice high quality cotton in a lighter blue.  Super soft and adds more POOF.


I really took my time with this dress.  I even hand stitching the facings down.  I never do that, I usually just tack them down at the side seams and let them flop about on the inside.  MACHINE SEW ALL THE THINGS!


Twirling, and a poor attempt by Papa me to wrangle that glorious hair.

I cut out the bow pattern piece for the dress but opted not to use it - I didn't want to cover up any of that floral print!  What do you think?  Add the bow, or leave it as is?  The bow would be the solid periwinkle crepe.


The back.  What a silhouette, right?!

The seams line up!  THE SEAMS LINE UP!  Drinks on me!


So there is the dress.  Pretty special, eh?  

It's supposed to be chilly on her big day (boo... it was 72 degrees the day she was born, so we were holding out hope for nice weather.  Ack.), so it'll have to be accessorized with tights and a cardigan probably.  But she can absolutely wear this for Easter, too!  

Ahh, Spring!


:)


Have a great rest of the week, all!

Pin It

44 comments:

  1. The dress is stunning! I love those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so precious. Great shots with her. AND fabulous Easter dress!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is absolutely beautiful! Great fabric choice! Your Emmy is adorable and I love that picture of her posing :) Did you find the pattern was true to size? I must try this pattern! And the bow...I think the dress looks pretty without, but maybe let Emmy decide? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie!

      Yes, it's definitely true to size. I was going to cut the 2 because commercial patterns are usually huge on Emmy, but I cut the 3 so that it would fit her for a longer period of time. Glad I did that, because it fits perfectly right now!

      The bow! I know! So hard to decide. I think I might make it and attach it to a pin instead of the dress, then we can add it if we want, and take it off if want!

      Delete
  4. Just beautiful. I like the dress just as it is. Happy birthday to Emmy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sweet little girl reminds me of mine. They both get so excited about dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how sweet Bonny! You know, this is the FIRST time she's reacted this way to anything I've made her! She usually likes the things, but my goodness, I've never seen her hug a garment. Lol. :)

      I guess I'll be making a lot more dresses now!

      Delete
  6. How sweet. The dress is beautiful and your precious little girl is adorable. A perfect pair just as they are. Regena in TN.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out SO cute! I love your fabric choices!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dress and the fabrics you choosed!
    Tx for sharing,
    Mammanene from

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  9. An adorable dress, Sarah, and I just love the fabric you've used!!! I'm of two minds about a bow. On one hand, I love the curved bodice, and a bow will largely hide the curve. On the other hand, I think a blue bow will break the bodice and the skirt, accentuating the floral fabric. Either way, you're onto a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it turned out so pretty! Keep it without the bow. It's so precious. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A girl is so pretty, and she likes her dress
    She looks so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop. You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! I love the design and your fabric choices. Precious. Happy Birthday to your little girl! (visiting from Sew Country Chick)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love. It. It has such a perfect silhouette. I vote no bow, on account of the curved bodice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's awesome Amy! What a great pattern, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you gals all so much!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sarah! Found you through the PDF sales and promo FB page. Loving the simple look of your blog and the way it shows off your projects. This dress is beautiful. Love it! I really like the patterns in your shop too. Can't wait to see what you do next. You are going on my blog roll at www.theprettypickle.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are both adorable. We have a blog hop starting at 9:00PM tonight. We would love to have you share this with everyone. It's called Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous dress, I love the floral fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous dress and sweet model. Color of the dress are simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sarah, what a darling girl you have!!! Great dress also! Well done. Thank you for linking it up with us. I would never have found your blog if you didn't. A new party opens again later today. I hope to see you there again. Stay in touch! ~ Rose

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is sooo pretty and your daughter is too cute! Would love to have you share at my party!
    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2013/03/homemade-by-you-43.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE this Sarah!! I hope you'll stop by and link up to Make It Wear It this week (TheTrainToCrazy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute dress and adorable little model! My little girl turns three on Saturday - time goes by too fast, doesn't it? I kind of feel like a slacker that I didn't make her a cute little dress for the big day now that I've seen yours ;)

    I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is adorable. I love the neckline, it is so different.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So adorable!! Love the fabric combination that you used... especially the floral print!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You really made a lovely dress here. I love the neckline too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. this dress is beautiful! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very pretty! I like the idea of making the bow detachable, too. I'm wondering if you felt the dress worked up true to the pattern size measurements. So often they are too large. Any comments on fit? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...